Friday, July 27, 2012

Filter Systems and Relationships

I start this post with a quote:

"I talk a lot about clearing out our filter system in order to change our lives. Filter systems literally filter out certain information and in the process distort reality.

We either act or react to life. When we react we generally get results that are less than favorable.  It is only when we choose to act in a way that is consistent to what we want to create that we are truly free.

Be aware of your filters, be willing to change them and move toward greater and greater freedom.  The less we filter our reality the more we get to savor everything.

With love and aloha,
Susan"


Susan Gregg writes beautiful, thought-invoking daily
reflections which you can subscribe to 
HERE :) 


If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I am actively trying to change the filter systems that no longer work for me and allow me to create a happy, abundant, free life. I usually refer to them as belief systems.


The belief (filter) systems I am most interested in letting go of, are the ones through which I hold on to insecurity.

"I am not good enough"

"I need _________ sort of body to be beautiful."

"I need to do __________, ___________,and _____________ to be accepted by others."

"I need to be accepted by others."

When I start changing these filter systems into ones that allow me to live a more free life, I notice that I often face having to let go of certain relationships that I had while holding limited belief (filter) systems.

Friends that I only used to drink with don't seem that fun anymore when I stopped drinking, and the friendships that lasted where clearly based on more than just drinking shenanigans.

Intimate relationships based mostly on the body or sex quickly began to seem like a complete waste of time.

It's probably because I haven't accepted myself as I am 100% yet, but I still buy into the filter system that tells me I have to look a certain way to be happy in a relationship (with a guy.) I KNOW that I shouldn't try to be anyone I'm not, especially for someone else, but I guess I'm still insecure about my body.

Sigh. There is probably a reason most of my former relationships where so unfulfilling   -  they where based on first, physical attraction, and second (if at all), emotional/mental connection.

I really think that in a relationship that both people are going to be happy in, the emotional and mental connection needs to come first, or at least be in balance with the physical connection.

Connecting on the physical level is so much easier though, because if you are "lucky" to be attractive (or can make yourself so) according to current popular ideas of attractiveness, finding someone to relate to is super easy. But superficial relationships suck, dude!

Anyways. I know I just need to work on being totally OK with being myself, and then the right friends and relationships will be easy to find. How can I expect to connect with someone on a deeper level when I have trouble being honest with myself a lot of the time?

So, to get back to those statements (belief/filter systems) I stated earlier, I will now change them to ones that I believe are of better use for me to believe.

"I am good enough, always."

"I accept my body at all times as it is :) My body is the vehicle for my consciousness and so I should seek to keep it healthy (strong, flexible, and nimble, fast, enduring) while disregarding popular opinion of beauty."

"I am myself and honest at all times, in front of myself, and others."

"I only need acceptance from myself."















Love and Abundant Freedom
Sofie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me on Facebook